Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Chicken & Cheese Enchiladas

I got this recipe from another food blog, and tweaked it a little. I didn't make my own enchilada sauce (which made it way easier, and it was still DELICIOUS) and I added chicken. We really liked them, and the boys both said they were so good as lunch the next day.
photo courtesy of: http://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/2009/09/easy-cheesy-enchiladas.html

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
12 corn tortillas
3 tablespoons oil
4 scallions, chopped
3 tablespoons cilantro leaves, finely chopped
4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
2 cans enchilada sauce (I like mild)

Pre-heat the oven to 375ºF.

For the chicken: I boiled and shredded the chicken. Then I put it in a pan with a little water and some taco seasoning over low heat, just to give it some flavor. Then I set it aside. (I added the chicken part to this recipe, the original recipe is for plain cheese enchiladas).

Place a skillet over medium heat and a little oil (3 Tbsp). Using tongs, soften each tortilla for 15 seconds on each side in the oil, shake off any excess then transfer to a plate covered with paper towels. Repeat this process with the rest of the tortillas.

In a bowl, combine the scallions and cilantro with 3 cups of cheese. Fill each softened tortilla with about 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture and a few pieces of chicken and roll it up. Set the rolled tortillas in a row in a baking dish.

When all the tortillas have been rolled, pour the enchilada sauce evenly over the dish and top with the remaining cup of cheese. Bake until bubbly and brown on top, about 15 minutes. Serve with spanish rice, refried beans, and guacamole!

No comments:

Post a Comment